WHATSAPP – What is it and why should you use it?
WHAT IS IT AND WHY SHOULD YOU USE IT?
What is WhatsApp?
You may have heard the term mobile application or simply apps for devices like smartphones/tablets/computers.
WhatsApp is one such mobile application that is primarily for smartphones but these days a desktop application for computers is also available. It is a free app solely created to allow free (here we mean unpaid) communication via text/call around the globe. It uses the internet to send and receive messages, audio, video and photos and can be used on iPhones, Android phones, Apple Mac Computers and Windows Computers. WhatsApp would use your 4G or WiFi connection to be able to send and receive messages and photographs which just means that you’ll have to only worry about having data to use on your phone or be somewhere with access to WiFi but you no longer have to bother about getting a big phone bill. If you do not have enough data to send a message, it simply won’t send.
Is It Safe?
Big applications such as WhatsApp are continuously working to keep their users’ data safe. They continue to find and fix bugs. WhatsApp now uses an Encryption method to send and receive everything on it which means that only you and the person you send data to see what is being sent. So, in order to ensure a safe use of the applications make sure to either set your device to automatically update applications or manually make sure to keep the app updated. This allows the latest security features to be installed on your device and keep you safer.
What are the benefits of using WhatsApp?
Other than saving money on the old ways of communication there are several other benefits of WhatsApp
– It doesn’t only allow one-to-one communication but also allows you to talk to multiple people at the same time, known as group chats.
– You can even have conference audio/video calls within a group chat.
– Global communication free of charge. Makes it easier to connect to long distant relatives living in different countries. No more telegrams or letters or even months of waiting to receive replies.
– It is very safe and secure application continuously keeping a check on their systems.
– Last but not the least, iIt is very easy to use.
How To Install WhatsApp On Your Device
You may get a hundred other articles explaining this however, we still want to make it easy for you.
Step 1: Find the App
On your device, enter the application that allows you to download other applications, depending on what device you’re using you may see one of these names – App Store, Play Store, Microsoft Store.
You will initially find WhatsApp among the first 20 apps in the ‘‘most popular’ app list. However, the Search bar makes the process easier so just type ‘whatsapp’ and it’ll pop right at the top.
- Play store: Tap the green coloured button “Install”
- App store: Tap “Get,” then “Install” next to the app WhatsApp Messenger by WhatsApp Inc.
- Microsoft store: Tap “Get” then it shall start downloading automatically or if it doesn’t then press “Install”
Once the download is complete you can launch the app by clicking ‘Open’ or the newly installed application icon will appear on your home screen/desktop and you can launch it from there with a single touch (for smart devices) or double click (for desktops).
Step 2: Register and Verify your Phone Number
App Store screenshots of setting a WhatsApp account
After entering your phone number, WhatsApp will link to your phone number and your account set up complete. Before you can begin to efficiently use the app, it shall ask you certain permissions, like the following:
- Access to contacts: WhatsApp will first request access to your contacts. If you grant this access, WhatsApp will have a full list of your contacts’ phone numbers who are also WhatsApp users. Non-users shall not appear in this list. If you do not grant this access, you can manually add each of your contacts for chat messages, however you cannot make a new call without granting WhatsApp access to your phone’s contacts.
- Access to Media/Gallery: If you’d like to send photos, videos or other files, WhatsApp will request access to these files as well. Tap “Continue,” then tap “Allow” for each if you wish to grant these permissions.
- Access to enable Notifications: When you receive messages the application will notify you with a message and message sound (if you enable it). Before sending you notification, the app will request access to do so. Tap “OK” to be notified when you receive new messages. These can be further altered in the WhatsApp’s settings. For example, you have a choice of having sound on/off, on vibrate/mute when a message notification appears.
App Store screenshots of access permissions
How To Talk & Send Photo/Video to a Contact on Whatsapp
- With WhatsApp open, you will see this screen
Click on the button at the top right to find someone new in your contacts to start WhatsApping them.
- This opens up your phone book, simply press the name of the contact you wish to add. (They must themselves have whatsapp installed)
Click on the name of the person you want to send a WhatsApp and you will see a screen like this (the background may not be the same).
- To Begin talking, you can simply type in the chat box at the bottom of the screen.
- To call the person, you can hit the little phone icon button on the top right of the screen.
- To Send a photo or video to a contact, hit the small paper clip icon located inside the white chat box at the bottom right of the screen. This will give you a few options such as taking a photo to send, sending a photo that is on your phone, sharing your location or sending a document.
- Add people to your groups. Example in order to share a picture with all family members people create a group, name it ‘Family’ and add all their family members to it.
And that’s it!!
We believe this article covers everything however, please feel free to contact Won Connect for any other queries regarding this article or our services. Wonconnect provides computer and digital training class. We are happy to help.